Special Education – It’s All About Results
- What in the video rang true for you?
- What were some things you disagreed with?
- What is the purpose of special education?
- What happens for a child when they are entitled to special education services?
- What do you think contributes to Iowa having such a large achievement gap in special education?
- What is discussed in the IEP meeting you are typically involved?
- Do you discuss how the student is progressing in the grade level curriculum at an IEP meeting?
- What is effective instruction for a special education student?
- Is the special education teacher the best person to provide supplemental instruction?
- What IEP progress monitoring assessments do you use?
- What progress monitoring assessments are tied to the core curriculum?
- Are students in your special education classes grouped for instruction?
- Do students in your school have access to supplemental instruction from a content area teacher?
- What parts of the IEP translate into providing the student effective instruction?
- What practices do impact effective instruction?
- Do you believe that a student’s growth can slow down or end when they are entitled to special education? Why does this happen?
- What assistance do regular education teachers get around working with students with special needs in their classroom?
- What can you start doing right away to get better results?